Big Hair

Written By Smart Solusion on Sunday, March 20, 2011 | 2:50 AM


The first time I saw her and her hair I audibly gasped and squealed in delight. It is not often to see a young white women accepting of her tight curls and frizz. Normally this texture would be hidden by heat styling. I've been drooling over this girl's hair for months. I must have told her a billion times how much I love her hair. She usually wears it in a ponytail but sometimes -- usually for orchestral performances -- she lets it out.

I think what I dig most is that she seems proud of it, too. I can imagine that her other girlfriends must think she's odd to allow her hair to explode that like. It took me a while to seek permission to take this photo (through my daughter) because I imagined that my saying that I loved her hair, especially in front of her other (white) friends, might make her feel a little uncomfortable.


You know, "why is this black lady sweating me about my hair? Does she think my hair is like hers?"
But my girl is much, much cooler than that. She smiles proudly for my photo. Maybe she doesn't carry all the American baggage about hair, texture, curls and frizz because she is from Canada. I don't know. But I just say to you that I love her hair and I look forward to seeing her on Mondays for orchestra rehearsal so I can see how her mane is flowing.

When she allowed my daughter to take her photo with a really cheery, "Sure!" I had to walk over to her and give her a big hug and a thank you.

I'm no expert but I think her hair is what is known in the white circles as "woolly hair syndrome". When this hair occurs in white people, it's defined as a syndrome . . . in other words, it's a problem. Now that may be because the idea of having hair similar to that of a black person (hair that grows up and out instead of down) -- frankly having any traits that might be confused with blackness - is just so unacceptable that the medical and beauty communities have had to define as a condition. I don't know about you . . . but something about this shiggity offends the hell out of me. The crown of this boy's haid (below left) shows the "woolly hair" that is really considered a deal breaker. It also may be that the hair at the crown is at such a stark contrast from the texture of the rest of the hair. But most of us have more than one texture, don't we?


Anyway, less dense than my hair or my daughter's hair, the her hair (right) is soft like cotton. If I were to guess, I'd say that her hair is of the 3C variety.

Wow, huh?

Anda sedang membaca artikel tentang

Big Hair

Dengan url

http://womenscrown.blogspot.com/2011/03/big-hair.html

Anda boleh menyebar luaskannya atau mengcopy paste-nya

Big Hair

namun jangan lupa untuk meletakkan link

Big Hair

sebagai sumbernya

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

techieblogger.com Techie Blogger Techie Blogger